AT&T to Buy T-Mobile
According to company press releases and several confirmed reports AT&T is set to acquire T-Mobile USA from the Germany telecom giant Deutsche Telekom AG for some $39 billion in cash and stocks.
AT&T set to acquire T-Mobile for $39 Billion
Although the announcement of AT&T’s acquisition of T-Mobile is rather sudden, the transaction itself won’t happen over night. Pending regulatory approval and all the paperwork the deal is expected to close in around 12 months. Regulatory review may see and end to this deal as this merger of networks would essentially take the 4 option market down to a 3 brand field. At this point it remains unclear whether regulators will approve the deal, or put the brakes on it.
Provided regulatory review turns out favorably 12 months from now, this will give both AT&T users and T-Mobile customers something to look forward to. While AT&T’s customer base will be getting a more consistent and complete service area upgrade along with a considerable voice quality enhancement, T-Mobile users don’t seem to be getting much out of the deal.
The biggest question we’ve been hearing from T-Mobile users has just been clarified on T-Mobile.com – they will NOT be offering the iPhone.
AT&T 4G network build-out
Along with the merger of the current voice & data service areas, AT&T’s plans include an incredibly comprehensive 4G network build-out piggybacked on the current service footprint. The total 4G network would provide service for some 47 million phone users.
Still unknown about the AT&T buyout of T-Mobile:
- Will we be seeing 4G network capable iPhones/iPads any time soon
- When will T-mobile users get access to iPhones
More information about the AT&T buyout of T-Mobile:
- Deutsche Telekom to receive 39 billion USD for T-Mobile USA
- Q&A: More Information About AT&T Acquisition of T-Mobile USA
- AT&T agrees to buy T-Mobile USA from Deutsche Telekom for $39 billion (update)
- AT&T to buy T-Mobile USA for $39 bn
- T-Mobile answers its customers’ most Frequently Asked Question: no iPhone
- AT&T to buy T-Mobile USA for $39 billion